5 Ways to make your weekend clothes work for the office
Picture it: It's Monday or Tuesday morning and the only clean clothes in your closet is the stuff you have reserved for the weekends. What's a girl to do? Don't worry! Before you decide to hit the stores, remember that with the right details and accessories you can make just about anything in your closet work-appropriate. I had a chat with Saray Barbosa, a Puerto Rican celebrity stylist and personal shopper in NYC, about how you can make some of your most basic and casual pieces work for the office. Check out a few of her amazing tips below!
Read more in ¿Qué más? Refresh your wardrobe for under $75 with these 7 easy pieces
1. A basic T-shirt: "T-shirts are very versatile. This item can be paired with a tweed or structured blazer along with a few long necklaces styled with fitted trousers or a skirt to create a chic look that works not only for the office but for after work drinks. Don't forget your heels." Saray also suggests pairing a T-shirt with a cardigan. "Look for one that's longer in the front and fitted in the back."
2. A classic pair of dark jeans: "I love dark denim [jeans], they can always be dressed up with just about anything. One of my favorite looks: Roll up the hem (twice) pair it with a relaxed blazer, fitted top and a great pair of heels. This is the look where the shoes are the main focus; select a smooth silhouette of a heel, anything bulky will add volume to your silhouette. And of course play up your jewelry."
3. A mini skirt: "Mini skirts are tricky. I would stick with printed or dark solids for the office. One of my favorite looks is to pair a colored mini skirt with tights that have a design [ex: lace tights or ones with bows in the back]. Keep your top simple, the main focus of this look is the tights. Style it with ankle booties or heels, keep the jewelry simple by wearing a cocktail ring and a bracelet. "
4. A pencil dress: "Pencil dresses are a great staple. With this look pair two long necklaces, great pumps, and a fitted or structured blazer. If you must wear tights, keep it simple, opaque or a pair in the same color of your dress for black or navy ones. Another great look is to style the dress with a pair of classic tall boots."
5. A sundress: "Sundresses are great during the summer, make it work for your job: Keep it simple, make sure it's not too short, keep the shoes a muted color and style with a fitted colored cardigan or blazer. Be bold with the cardigan/blazer and play with the colors. Finish the look with some great large stone jewelry." Also, a belt worn over a sundress and cardigan can help accentuate your waist.
And viola! You just transformed some of your most basic pieces into some work-friendly outfits!
Image via ThinkStock Images