So many things can go wrong when giving birth, but I had no idea that a baby could or would be voluntarily decapitated by a doctor. Cruz María García of the Dominican Republic went to see her gynecologist Ángela Milqueya Sánchez two weeks before her third child was due to be born. The doctor admitted García because of elevated blood pressure. This birthing story has a terrible ending.Continue Reading >
As if Axe perfumed products didn't have enough of a bad rap for their tasteless commercials, a high school kid in Pennsylvania fell severely sick from the fumes after spraying the common teen fragrance. Freedom High School in Bethlehem posted a statement on their website stating that a student was hospitalized after having an allergic reaction to the popular body spray.
The New York Post reports that for precautionary measures, the school is telling its students to leave the product at home. Although the student who was hospitalized is said to be fine, Principal Michael LaPorta has considered implementing a no-fragrance policy on school grounds. This might become an issue considering high school boys kinda love to pile on the perfume.Continue Reading >
Going to the gynecologist is an annoying neccessity, but no woman actually enjoys going to one. No matter how much you like your doctor, it's always kind of awkward and uncomfortable to have someone examining down there. That's why I was absolutely horrified and disgusted when I heard of the case of Dr. Nikita Levy, a medic at John Hopkins Medicine who was recently fired after it was discovered that he was filming his patients using a pen camera and other hidden devices.Continue Reading >
Horrifying is a weak word to describe the atrocity Cheryl Sexton Dillon went through after going in for a simple bladder surgery. When Dillon was 36-years-old she had an ideal happy life with a husband and 3 children until she visited OBGYN Dr. James Burt. She has gone in to see him at Dayton,Ohio's St. Elizabeth's Hospital for what she was hoping was a routine procedure. Instead the doctor recommended that she get a hysterectomy which he converted into a 9-hour genital mutilation surgery.
The sick doctor was known for reconstructing women's vaginas in order to improve their sex lives and even wrote a book in 1975 called The Surgery of Love. In the book he claimed that women's vaginas are not structurally adequate for sex and could be surgically fixed. But Dillon had not consented the surgery which left her in excruciating pain and was the reason for the collapse of her 12-year marriage. Now 65-years-old, Dillon is writing a book sharing the horror of the ordeal she went through.
Breast cancer awareness is a topic that shouldn't be taken lightly, and should be done so in a respectful manner when being promoted. This Chilean commercial created by an ad agency called Lowe Porta Santiago does the COMPLETE opposite--and infuriated me because of the way it portrayed women and the disease. The video, titled "Por Amor a las Tetas," is basically targeted at men and is meant to get them to convince women in their lives to get breast exams. It does this in such a degrading manner that the "message" gets lost.Continue Reading >
Parents: Beware of what you leave lying around the house! Even seemingly harmless items can get your little ones sick. The big culprit this time around are new Tide laundry pods which children are confusing for candy--tons of kids have fallen ill after mistaking them for candy and ingesting them. The bright blue, red, and white pods have bled to over 1,008 cases of poisoning reported to the CDC this past summer, leading the agency to declare them "an emerging public health hazard in the United States."
According to a CDC report, 94 percent of children who have fallen ill to ingestion of the pods are under the age of 6—and they've become sicker than those kids who have consumed other detergents!Continue Reading >
Imagine having a disfigured face and having to live in isolation, all because of a freak accident. Such is the case for 37-year-old Richard Lee Norris who had to live in seclusion since 1997 after accidentally shooting himself in the face with a 12 gauge shotgun as he removed it from its case. The incident caused him to lose his nose, jaw, tongue, and lips and had him avoiding the public for more than 15 years.
Now all of that has changed as he is the first man to successfully receive a full face transplant after surgeons at the University of Maryland performed the 36-hour surgery in March to rebuild his features and reattach nerves.Continue Reading >